Val Roseg is a high-alpine valley, a side valley of Val Bernina. The Ova da Roseg river flows through it, and the Val Roseg cross-country skiing trail crosses it several times.
The start is located at the Pontresina railway station. The trail follows the frozen river acrossopen meadows and forests of larch. Soaring up to the left and right are the three thousand metrepeaks of the Upper Engadin. And, if you’re lucky enough while you take a break, you may wellspot a chamois or two grazing on the slopes opposite. Or feed the almost tame birds at the bird-feeding station along the last third of the trail. After seven kilometres of steady climb a well-earned rest awaits at Restaurant Roseg. Here the landscape slowly begins to change. The forestthins out and the valley widens, opening up the view of the glacier-covered summits of Piz Sella,Cima Sondrio, Piz Glüschaint, La Muongia and Il Chapütschin. Those with energy to spare willwant to complete the additional circuit towards the glacial lake of Lej da Vadret, which hasformed here in recent years as a result of the melting ice masses.
But for all the beauty of these delightful, park-like landscapes this is not the place to linger.Indeed, as soon as the sun dips behind the mountain, it gets cold in the valley. Fortunately thetrail back to Pontresina, the most northerly valley town on the Bernina Pass in Val Bernina, is notstrenuous. A few more double-poling thrusts and you’re soon back at your starting point.
Cross-country skiing equipment is available for hire in Pontresina:
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross-country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.