Hike to the highest barbecue site in Europe
Distance 1.5 km
Diavolezza is the best vantage point for viewing one of the most beautiful panoramas in the Alps. It offers stunning views of the Pers and Morteratsch Glaciers, Piz Palü, Piz Bellavista and Piz Bernina - the last of which is, at 4,049m (13,284ft), the highest mountain in the Eastern Alps. After a short ascent taking about half an hour, you reach Sass Queder; here, thanks to the uninterrupted view to the south, you can see not only the impressive Bernina Massif, but also the Bernina Pass and even as far as the Vatellina valley. It is hardly surprising that Europe's highest Barbecue site is located here and invites families and other hikers to take a break. Snacks and firewood can be purchased from the kiosk at the Diavolezza top station.
Allow yourself enough time for a barbecue, because the air is thin at 3066 m.a.s.l. even for the fire.
AuthorEngadin St. Moritz
Update: March 15, 2021
32T 574170 5140267
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view