Short ascent with a magnificent panoramic view.
Distance 1.5 km
Red and white markings show the way from the Diavolezza Berghaus a few metres along the ski slope, past the Piz Trovat (where, in summer, a via ferrata leads up), and to the top station of the glacier chairlift. After about thirty to forty minutes uphill, piled up cairns will greet you. And, almost more than the ascent, the view will take your breath away. The brilliant panorama reaches deep into the Austrian Alps and stops at striking peaks such as Piz Kesch and Piz Linard. Of the Italian peaks, the Ortler stands out in particular, while the famous Piz Palü and Piz Bernina spread out in the back.
Good hiking boots are required for this path which is only prepared with shovels.
winter hiking trail report: www.engadin.ch/en/slopes-tracks/winter-hiking-trails/
This hike is only worthwhile in good weather.
AuthorEngadin St. Moritz
Update: April 10, 2021
Safety informationCheck in advance if the hike is open.
Parkingbig parking area at the Diavolezza bottom station
32T 574185 5140272
Basic Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots appropriate for winter use (B1+ recommended)
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Long, warm technical socks plus liners and spares
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Water- and windproof mountaineering jacket and trousers with ankle adjustment or separate gaiters
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Water- and windproof gloves plus thin fleece inner gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
Technical Equipment for Winter Hiking
- Hiking poles fitted with snow baskets
- Trail ‘spike’ crampons at minimum and a basic ice axe are recommended when covering steeper terrain
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view